Domain transfer is a change of the address registrar, which is the company providing technical and financial support for the domain.
In case you are blogging, it is most convenient to have a hosting and domain purchased from one registrar. Then you can easily manage these services from one control panel.
However, it happens that we want to transfer an already registered domain to another registrar due to more attractive price conditions.
Additionally, by investing in domain names, you will often buy addresses registered with different operators. In such situations, a transfer will also be required.
Domain transfer is an operation that is performed in several steps. It often requires the prior preparation of important information. Below I present how to do it and what to pay attention to.
DISCLOSURE: WHEN YOU CLICK ON A LINK ON THIS PAGE, IN SOME CASES WE EARN A COMMISSION FROM BLUEHOST.
How to Transfer Domain Name to Another Registrar?
The transfer of a domain to a new registrar I will show on the example of Bluehost.com. The user panel there is very simple and intuitive, so everyone will manage their domains without any problems.
Once you’ve logged in to your account, go to the Domains tab. In the upper right corner, you can see the Transfer Domain button – click it.
The next step is to provide the name of the domain to be transferred. The transfer itself is free, but for some domains, it may be necessary to renew it for the next year.
What Domains Can be Transferred?
At the moment you can transfer domains with extensions:
After entering the domain name, click Continue and go to the next step. If the system considers that the domain is registered, fulfills all requirements, and has an unlocked status – we will be asked to enter the EPP code.
What is EPP Authorization Code?
The EPP Authorization code explicitly authorizes the domain and is issued by the current registrar. It is required and necessary to perform and complete the domain transfer.
The EPP code is a unique password, which can consist of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters.
It is a very effective way to protect Internet domains. Some of them are worth millions of dollars, which is why it is so important to prevent their unwanted transfer.
You can also find EPP code under different names such as Authinfo, AuthCode, or EPPT authentication code.
It should also be noted that the EPP code is issued only to the domain owner and only he can ask the registrar to provide it.
After obtaining and confirming the EPP code, we move on to the next step which is the transfer settings.
At this point you can change the following options:
- DNS servers – you can leave those on which the domain is currently hosted or you can directly set name servers for Bluehost: ns1.bluehost.com, ns2.bluehost.com. Remember that it is not possible to change DNS servers during the transfer. This can be done after the operation is completed. You can read more about DNS servers here.
- Autorenew – it is recommended to set the automatic renewal of the domain before it starts expiring. You can also set a self-renewal option – in this case, Bluehost will send you a notification in advance. You will be able to decide for yourself whether to renew the domain for another period.
- Contact Information – here you can see or edit your contact and profile information.
- Domain Privacy – you can enable the protection of your data, which will be activated for an additional fee.
After approving the Terms of Service, click Add to Cart and finalize the whole operation. According to ICANN’s requirements, before the domain transfer begins, it should be renewed with a new registrar for another billing year.
It is worth remembering this to avoid renewing the domain twice. After the payment is completed, the transfer will be initiated.
Current Transfer Progress
A domain transfer usually takes about 7 days. If you want to check the status of the operation, click the Transfer Domain button in the user panel.
At the bottom, there is a table – Current Transfer Progress, where you can see what is happening with the domain. After clicking on the link in the Details field, you can find more information.
Domain Transfer Problems
Domain transfer may not be completed for several reasons. Here are the most important ones:
- The authinfo code is invalid or incorrect.
- Subscriber’s data is incorrect, incomplete, or invisible. In the case of domains with the extension .com, .net, .biz, .org, .info, the Subscriber’s data should be disclosed in the WHOIS register.
- The status of the domain does not allow for transfer because the domain has been modified recently, i.e.: registered, extended, transferred or the domain is subject to dispute.
How to Obtain the EPP Code in Bluehost?
If you have a registered domain in Bluehost that you have sold on the Marketplace, you will need to provide the EPP code to the buyer.
To do this, log in to the user panel and click the Manage button on the selected domain. Then choose the Security tab.
The code will be sent to an e-mail address that you can select from the appropriate field. Click Send Code and check the EPP code request message for the selected domain.
The requirement for a transfer is also to unlock the domain. By default, each one is blocked. This protects us from unwanted transfers. After unlocking it you can move it to another registrar.